Photos by @MoneyMick | via Instagram
City Morgue‘s SosMula has always prioritized his solo career just as much as the group that helped him rise to success.
Having dropped his debut album 13 SONGS 2 DIE 2 last month (Aug. 20), SosMula gave fans of City Morgue a taste of what he can do on his own.
Growing up in New York City, he was heavily inspired by natives of his hometown like G-Unit, 50 Cent, The Diplomats, The Notorious B.I.G. and JAY-Z, as well as rock artists like Green Day and Marilyn Manson. This type of diverse influence has stuck with him to this day, and can be seen in the versatile tracklist of 13 SONGS 2 DIE 2.
Whether it be the island vibe song “FAVELA” with Brazlian artist Jovem Dex, or drill track “WHIP PARKED” with fellow rising New Yorker Bizzy Banks, SosMula says he is just interested in making good music. His beloved producers in Yung Germ, Ryder Johnson, Koncept P and Hellsing — which all had a hand in Mula’s solo debut — were instrumental in curating the album’s multifaceted sound.
SosMula and his partner in crime Zillakami have always looked to push the envelope in terms of creativity — whether it be music or fashion — aiding them to gain their unique cult following.
The duo met in 2017 thanks to Zillakami’s brother and CEO of City Morgue’s label Hikara Ultra, Righteous P. Their distinctive punk/metal rap sound has spread across hip-hop, influencing artists like Jasiah and Nascar Aloe, who were both featured on SosMula’s recent effort.
🔰 𝗢𝗚𝗠 𝗜𝗡𝗧𝗘𝗥𝗩𝗜𝗘𝗪 🔰#CityMorgue’s @BigSleezzzz chopped it up with #OGM host @ayoohakeem to speak on ‘13 SONGS 2 DIE 2,’ @zillakami, fashion & more! ⬇️— Our Generation Music (@OGMusicCo) September 29, 2021
read + watch: https://t.co/eUXdDPmAgJ pic.twitter.com/v2m40WEkkD
While riding this wave of momentum after his album’s release, SosMula sat down with OGM host Hakeem Rowe in his first-ever solo interview to discuss 13 SONGS 2 DIE 2, his relationship with Zillakami, touring overseas and his future endeavors in fashion and film in his Our Generation excluisve interview.
Hakeem Rowe: The album, your first solo project, 13 SONGS 2 DIE 2. How did you come up with this name, what inspired it?
Sosmula: “It’s crazy because, shoutout my n**** Cee (collaborator and affiliate Cee Kay), that n**** Cee gave me the name. It was really “10 SONGS 2 DIE 2,” but you know that’s obviously not enough songs. Even thirteen wasn’t enough to me, I wanted to put more on there. I wish I could put 20-30 on there, but that’s a long death. It was inspired by the show 1000 Ways To Die.”
HK: How did you go about picking beats for the album and getting the sound together? Because it’s all over the place, but it meshed well together.
SM: “I got five or six producers that I work with a lot. It was really just them sending bangers. I’m like ‘Oh shit, I gotta jump on this.” It was more that type of shit. I wasn’t really looking for our sound, these were just the beats the were coming through at the time, and they’re still coming through because I work with these producers on the regular.”
HK: Making a solo project after, for years, project-wise it was just you and Zillakami, what was different going into this? Because you have to do a whole song, instead of maybe just a verse. What were the challenges you faced with that?
SM: “It’s always been the same. I’ve always been recording, eve when we’re making music together. I’ve been making songs. A lot of shit just didn’t come out until now, it was just timing and perfecting shit and being more confident. Also we were developing our sound too. So I didn’t want to sound so different right away.”
- 1:38 the fashion on SosMula
- 3:00 Flying back from Poland
- 5:18 favorite spaces to travel to
- 5:36 locking in with Keith Ape in Korea
- 6:15 Keith Ape x SosMula EP on the way
- 6:36 what was Sosmula listening to growing up
- 7:07 Different phases on favorite rappers
- 7:20 Upper eastside Spanish Harlem, G-Unit to Dipset
- 8:08 Dream Collaboration on Thug & Future
- 9:14 13 SONGS 2 DIE 2
- 10:49 City Morgue project on the way
- 13:30 Trust between his team of producers into his beat selection
- 15:07 shout out engineer JP
- 15:21 Recording over 300 songs during the pandemic
- 16:30 Challenges of a solo project
- 17:24 FAVELA ft. Jovem Dex
- 18:09 City Morgue Europe tour with Zilla
- 20:08 Locking in with Bizzy Banks
- 20:22 performing his solo project
- 21:17 Goals of this first project hosted by Trapaholics , 13 SONGS 2 DIE 2
- 22:42 Needs a Gangsta Grillz tape
- 23:37 No Yes Men
- 24:30 The Cult Following and the power behind the sound they’ve really dialed in
- 25:24 Which artists SosMula into – Josiah & NASCAR Aloe
- 26:05 3-5 videos off the Solo project
- 27:30 How ZillaKami & SosMula met
- 28:40 Where SosMula sees himself in 5 years – films and directing
- 29:58 Walking on Runways & Fashion
- 30:27 Any focus on Grammy’s and accolades with the goal of still making the best shit
- 32:11 First Solo interview
- 32:33 Message for Our Generation